Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Spit On the Bad Guys" -- a Simonism

Yesterday, the two kiddos and I went to our community's holiday kick-off party, "Silver Bells In the City."  It's a downtown electric light parade, fireworks, lighting of the state Christmas tree, and many downtown events.


It was kind of fun, if you overlook the moment where I accidentally started driving the wrong way on a CLOSED one-way street -- right in front of a cop.  Whoops.

After the fun and festivities, we dropped by the grocery store to pick up some egg nog and frozen pizzas (dinner of champions, you know).  The Salvation Army bell-ringer was ding-donging away on the sidewalk. In the spirit of the night, I handed Simon a dollar to put into the bucket. 

After some shuffling and poking, he managed to get it through the slot in the bucket. He asked me, as we walked into the store, "what kind of army are they?"

I explained that they consider themselves an army of a sort, and their enemies are hunger and homelessness.  They provide food, shelter, clothing, and other help to those in need. 



Then Simon gave me one of those head-to-the-side looks, and exclaimed, "OH! I thought they were an army of people who went up to the bad guys and SPIT on them."

I paused, mid-step, and gaped at him.  "SPIT on them?"

"Yeah!  You know.  The Salivation Army!"

1 comment: