Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Tales From the (Massage) Table: You Know What's NOT Relaxing?

In the parlance of the day, I shall write this in the form of an open letter.

DEAR MASSAGE/MEDITATION MUSIC PRODUCERS:

In my recent quest to avoid almost certain repetitive-music-induced narcolepsy, I have been delving into a colleague's stash of "relaxation" CDs. After a few days of sampling the more frequently-used discs, I would like to submit a list of things that are not, in fact, relaxing to hear during a massage.

  • Loud, sudden, frightening thunderclaps that inspire a client to bolt upright and cry, "DAMN, THAT WAS CLOSE!"
  • Crickets.  I know, they seem like they'd be soothing.  They are not.
  • Monkeys. Really, does this need explanation? Actually, primates of any kind.
  • Dogs and/or wolves. And possibly bears.  Barking, baying, howling, and growling.  That caused my pleasant foot rub to seem like something out of a Goosebumps movie.
  • Percussion.  No matter how gently played, a hi-hat is disruptive. Also tom-toms, snare, triangle, and any other percussion toys.
  • Tornado winds. Scary.
  • Finally, cows.  I am not kidding here.  I know they're gentle and have big brown eyes, but hearing one mooing in the distance is disconcerting.
Thank you for your attention in this matter. 

Sincerely,

Everyone

6 comments:

smalltownme said...

Oh my. I agree with you on all of them.

ilyanna said...

your list totally makes me laugh. I always long for classical music, because the pan/native american flute does NOTHING for me.

Shyla John said...

Wow! Its too interesting post to read. I read it and want that everyone should have to read it once. Really very nice post about massage therapy.


ergonomic chair

Shyla John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shyla John said...

Great! you have posted wonderful post having good contents to share. Nice job by you!


office screen

Shyla John said...

It is fantastic job by you. You have done really wonderful work to write this post.


massage table