Sunday, January 1, 2012

Clean Eating vs. Sloth -- January 1 edition

In the last few months, I've been trying to wean myself from my slothful ways and return to the Clean Eating I maintained for quite a long time a year ago. 



And here's that story.

My darling hubs, Dr. Smartypantz, went shopping for food when we returned from a gorgeful Christmas vacation with my family, then his, then mine again.  It was ... wow.  Lots of indulgence.  It got to the point that my 8 year old son asked his Grammie to please make something healthy, like vegetables.  I KNOW.

As I was saying, Dr. S went grocery shopping, but as is fairly typical, he got many elements of meals, but not necessarily the ingredients to round them out, so off I went. I have resolved to spend more on GOOD food without guilt.

My goodies from this trip:
Canned Italian tomatoes and tomato sauce, plus some real cream and a bottle of sherry for Sherried Tomato Soup.
Unbleached flour for bread (we already have some wholewheat at home)
A butternut squash for soup
A can of pumpkin for soup as well (why, yes, I do like soup)
Cukes with some fat free Greek yogurt and pitas.  I have some homemade hummus in the freezer.
Strawberries, blueberries, oranges
Wholewheat rotini
Turkey breakfast sausages
eggs
Lots of sparkling water

I forgot to get corn, cilantro, and black beans.  I was planning on making a salad but -- oh well.

My meals so far have consisted of the Sherried Cream of Tomato Soup with homemade bread; wagon wheel pasta with a creamy sauce with spinach and broccoli; poached eggs with strawberries and oranges.

Planned meals:
Wh.wheat pasta salad with yogurt dressing, with almonds, chicken, blueberries.
Tomato soup with hummus and veggies on the side. 
Butternut squash soup w/homemade croutons (from wh wheat bread)
Salad with cukes, celery, strawberries, dried cranberries, and some chicken.  Add some cold cooked barley.
Breakfast scramble with turkey sausage, eggs, some shredded cheese, onions, peppers (if I have any).

I also plan on breakfasts of oats with either whole cranberries (I have a bag frozen), cinnamon, and brown sugar.  I used to eat oatmeal every morning, but got out of the habit.  My innards have not been happy with me slacking off like this!

I'm not really aiming for super low fat, although it'll be more low-fat than I've been doing. Just fresh, good foods with lots of color and fiber and easy stoppability.  You know what I mean?  With a barley/chicken/fruit salad, you don't necessarily feel the compulsion to eat. it. all.  like you do with pizza or ice cream, you know? 

So there it is.  More good food, less crap.  Sound good to you?

No comments: