Saturday, October 13, 2012

When Llife Gives You LLamas, Make LLamanade

Did I tell you about my brother?  My oldest brother (I have two) has led a life of ... misadventure and adventure, and chaos and wonder.

When he was just a little sprout (waaay before I was born), apparently he was taken to the zoo (probably Brookfield Zoo) by my parents and my grandparents.  He was snacking on peanuts, as was the tradition before peanut allergies brought us to our societal knees.  He and Grampa were watching a hippopotamus in its enclosure, as it stood and walked about and did hippopotamusy things.



Brother reached into his bag of peanuts, pulled one out, regarded it thoughtfully, and then PLUNK threw it at the hippo.

Naturally, it went precisely into the hippopotamus's ear.  And at that exact moment, the hippo decided to lay down.  Now, when a hippo decides to recline, it's not a very graceful motion.  It's more of a "crash to the ground on its side" kind of thing.

Brother shrieked, "Oh, GRAMPA!  I KILLED IT! I THREW THE PEANUT INTO ITS EAR AND IT FELL OVER DEAD! I KILLED THE HIPPOPOTAMUS!"

Grampa nodded, "Yep.  You did. Let's go," and he took my brother by his chubby, sweaty hand and led him swiftly away.  



1 comment:

RachelD said...

Oh, Dear Lord, girl!! This is the funniest thing I've read in forever!

I'm supposta be getting ready for house-guests, and here I sit, one story after the other, like that next potato chip.

I do apologize for not having thanked you for dropping in at Lawn Tea, way back on the Wizard of OZ post quite a while ago. Even more fun was the next day, when that four-year-old little whiz answered every question I asked about movie and plot. Right down to the three questions about who-got-what, including a "map" (diploma), "tick-tock heart" and medal.

The best part was when the tree threw apples---she all but tore her hair out, pantomimg that one.

I just signed up to follow, and what a lovely discovery this last day of the year. I'm heading back home to LAWN TEA to put you right on my sidebar, so my four readers will have a chance to enjoy, as well.

Happy New Year!

rachel